`Tis The Season!
Candlelight adds elegance to any church service. But candles can also pose a serious fire hazard. Improperly extinguished candles can reignite as long as two hours after being put out. This could cause a major fire at your church. Please consider the following recommendations when using live candles in your services:
- Designate one individual to be responsible for extinguishing and checking all candles during the holiday season.
- Never leave burning candles unattended.
- Use good quality, slow burning candles. Inexpensive “catering style” candles burn quickly and can pose a hazard.
- When using candles, carefully select where candles should be placed – don’t place near window treatments, drapes, decorative foliage or other combustible materials.
- Avoid drafts, vents or air currents to prevent rapid or uneven burning and excessive dripping.
- Keep combustibles and candles away from children.
- Substitute battery-operated candles for events when possible.
- Properly extinguish, collect and store all candles in noncombustible containers.
Southern Mutual Church Insurance conducts an annual candle safety program. If your church would like to participate, please click on the following link Candle Safety to submit your information through the Policyholder Portal. All online submissions will be eligible for a drawing!